Education Abroad: Getting the Right Kind of Experience

In recent times, life has become so competitive that it’s essential for a nursing student to take advantage of all the available opportunities. It’s necessary to be multifunctional and diverse—without these things, you won’t be able to win the race for success. It is especially important for students to get some real life experience of what it takes to succeed in the practical life. What it takes to earn money and how hard parents have to work for earning extra few cents. Nowadays, there is an increasing trend towards gaining job experience during education. Some students do this out of necessity, while some do this in order to get some practical knowledge. Regardless of the reason, it is a proven fact that studying and working at the same time is gainful in every manner.

If you are studying abroad, then a part-time job can be a great opportunity for you to earn working experience. Not only will you earn some money, but also you will have the chance to observe the labor market of the country you are living in and  save the student from the burden of student loans. Through part-time working, you can alleviate some of the expenditure which you will have to bear while living abroad. If you are really keen on working part-time, the first thing you have to do is search the countries that allow students to work while studying and what are the conditions and criteria. Different countries have different legislation so it’s important to get proper information about the country you are living in. For instance, in the U.S., if you are an F-1 visa holder, then you can work on-campus utmost 20 hours per week in the study period and 40 hours per week during vacations. The F-1 visa is given to international students who have enrolled under a full-time program in high school, a university, language school, or other higher studies institutions in the U.S.

On-campus working means job must be done for the college or any educational institution where you are staying. F-1 visa holders can also work with the businesses that provide facilities to your educational institute, such as the cafeteria, library, and transport services. If you are a F-1 visa holder, you can’t work off-campus until you receive a permit from the United States Immigration services. Off-campus working permission is authorized on the basis of economic hardship. Off-campus working permission is only granted after spending at least 1 full academic year in your educational institution.

Moreover, there are certain conditions for this. Any other kind of off-campus employment may be found illegal. This will lead to deportation or difficulty in future immigration proceedings, like visa stamping and green card. So F-1 visa holders shouldn’t get involved in any illegal or risky activity. Also in Canada you can work while studying. In order to work on-campus at a post-secondary educational institution in Canada, foreign students do not need a work permit but a valid study permit is necessary. For off-campus working, the foreign students may apply for a work permit. In order to get off-campus work permit there are certain requirements it’s necessary that the student must be enrolled in full-time program in the publicly funded educational institution or some listed privately funded institutions.

The list of eligible educational institutions can be found on internet. So it’s important for the students to get the complete knowledge about the policies and requirements of their educational institutions. Off-campus work permits allow the student to work utmost 20 hours per week during the study period and they can work full time during vacation period like winter and summer holidays and spring breaks. Without work permit the foreign student cannot start working off-campus and it’s also essential to maintain the status of full-time student in order to get work permit. In order to continue working in Canada, you can also apply for the post-graduation work permit after graduation from an eligible institution.