Website Virginia Commonwealth University - VCU
Psych Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Mission or Goal of Unit
We shape the future of nursing through the power of education, discovery and collaboration.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
This is 12 month term or tenure-eligible faculty position who serves as clinical faculty for undergraduate and graduate Psychiatric Mental Health (PMH) courses; contributes to curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation; coordinates multiple clinical sections and clinical education sites; develops preceptors and appropriate clinical sites for PMH concentration graduate students; clinically supervises individual PMH students in graduate practica; participates in school governance activities; implements all roles of term or tenure-eligible track faculty (teaching, scholarship and service), and attains annual achievements consistent with rank as well as those that would lead to promotion to a higher rank. Appointment to academic rank and salary are dependent on demonstrated scholarly achievement and teaching experience. An endowed professorship in Psych Mental Health is available for applicant with a distinguished area of scholarship and/or practice and who meets the rank of Associate Professor.
• Demonstrates commitment to contributing to VCU’s Quest for Distinction (www.future.vcu.edu/)
• Demonstrates an integrated academic life, contributing to the teaching, scholarship and service missions in an urban research-intensive university with an academic health sciences center
• Participates in all aspects of curriculum including teaching in classroom or clinical settings
• Contributes to curriculum development, implementation and evaluation
• Maintains ongoing scholarly contributions to their field such as translation of evidence to practice, presentations or manuscript publications.
• Maintains a commitment to serving the school of nursing, university, profession and community
• Engages faculty, students, and staff to foster a diverse community at VCU
1. Teaching – The faculty member will have teaching assignments in programs at the undergraduate and graduate level.
2. Research (Scholarship) – The faculty member will demonstrate evidence of building scholarship in a focused area of research, efforts to influence clinical practice and will disseminate research and/or practice knowledge through publications and presentations.
3. Service – The faculty member will serve on departmental, school, and university committees as necessary, as well as participate in professional activities.
4. Clinical – The faculty member can maintain a program of active clinical practice in a specialty area.
• Licensed or eligible for licensure as a registered nurse in Virginia
• Master’s degree in nursing
• Licensure or eligible for licensure in Virginia as NP in psychiatric mental health nursing.
• Currently certified in psychiatric mental health nursing as an advanced practice nurse.
• Experience in a practice role
• Documented effectiveness in collaboration and communication
• Ability to effectively manage details and problem solve in a complex environment
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Doctoral degree (PhD or DNP) in nursing or related field.
• Experience in higher education including teaching, simulation instruction, accreditation, program review or assessment
• Record of accomplishments in scholarship and professional service
• If research faculty, established area of research
If interested in this position, please visit https://www.vcujobs.com.
For questions, please reach out to LaToya Blizzard, Faculty Affairs Coordinator, VCU School of Nursing, P.O. Box 980567, Richmond, Virginia 23298-0567, or [email protected]
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university, providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.