Website City of Hope
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Director of Advanced Practice Providers (Nurse Practitioners initially) at the City of Hope contributes to the development and execution of the organization’s mission, vision and values and strategic plan. The Director of Advanced Practice Providers (APP) is responsible for comprehensive oversight the practice of all City of Hope inpatient, outpatient and community APPs and (in the future) Fellows in all practice areas order to maintain a high quality services in cancer & critical care while ensuring continuity of patient care is provided, physician academic and research responsibilities are supported and consistency of APP practice and frontline supervision exists across all of City of Hope APPS. The Director develops and implements programs and systems to meet the department and divisional objectives consistent with City of Hope’s philosophy, mission, vision and strategic plan.
The Director of Advanced Practice Providers is responsible for working collaboratively with the City of Hope Medical Staff to provide high quality, safe patient care throughout the organization. In addition, the director is responsible for ensuring that the APPS and their clinical practice meets Joint Commission standards and supports patient rights, organizational ethics and CMS regulation guidelines. The Director is responsible for ensuring that all advanced practice providers who are providing care to our patients and families are in compliance with these guidelines while promoting a strong emphasis on empathy and compassionate care specific to the cancer population. The Director works collaboratively with other directors, managers, administrators, and the medical staff to assure delivery of differentiated, affordable, high quality and personalized health care in an accessible, patient-friendly, research focused environment.
The Director APPs collaborates with other directors, managers, and the medical staff supported by APPs and hospital and nursing leadership to promote recruitment, retention, onboarding and training of high caliber Advanced Practice Providers. The Director, APP maintains budgetary oversight for the cost centers and provides direct supervision of APP managers This position directs the operations of all Advanced Practice Providers throughout the City of Hope.
The Director serves as a role model, resource and mentor for advancing patient care through support and active participation in the City of Hope Nursing Shared Decision Making Councils.This position is responsible for planning, developing and directing APP practices to achieve national best practice performance levels related to evidenced based guidelines, quality metric performance improvement and quality of services rendered to patients and internal/external customers while maintaining exceptional level of professionalism and customer service.
The Director serves as a leader and mentor within nursing and throughout the Medical Center. He/She partners with physicians, hospital executives, and leadership and managers to execute key clinical practice and performance improvement strategies.
The Director is a licensed nursing professional with management and leadership expertise who plans, directs, coordinates and leads the entire advanced practice function.
This role performs in support of roles based practice and adherence to the Board of Registered Nurse’s Scope of Practice, Regulation #2725 for the State of California, the California Nurse Practice Act, Title 22 and the Joint Commission Standards in addition to California licensing requirements as they pertain to this role. This role has the degree of independence required to achieve operating results consistent with approved operating plans, objectives, and policies. The Director of Advanced Practice Providers is responsible for the overall operations of the providers including frequent engagement and collaboration with the Medical Staff, compliance with all regulatory agencies (DHS, FACT, TJC, TITLE 22, etc.) for all areas of responsibility. This position must have the ability to engage and influence physicians, staff, and leadership through the use of effective communication and data driven decision making. This position must be familiar with the three (3) collective bargaining agreements representing the employee’s e.g. SEIU/UHW; CNA; and Local 30.
Serves as Leader and Manager
- Responsible for goal development, planning, execution and evaluation of goal achievement. Develops short, mid and long-term goals with plans to facilitate/guide goal achievement that are consistent with the mission and values of the City of Hope. Involves APPs in goal development, planning, execution and evaluation via our shared decision making model. Revises plan based upon evaluation of progress toward goals. Submits annual report.
- Effectively communicates with patients, visitors, management staff, departmental personnel, physicians, peers and other City of Hope personnel. Participates in required meetings. Demonstrates effective problem solving, negotiating, and conflict resolution skills. Promotes teamwork.
- Serves as role model, motivates, mentors, and inspires management staff and department personnel; demonstrates flexibility and impartiality when dealing with others.
- Interviews, hires, and evaluates APP staff. Serves in the mentor role for the City of Hope Nursing APP Council.
- Evaluates APP staffing requirements and makes recommendations to ensure adequate productivity and results achievement
- Demonstrates dependability in meeting target dates for reports and project completion. Represents the City of Hope in professional and civic activities locally, across the state or nationally as requested. Remains up-to-date in current level of practice.
- Develops, implements and evaluates programs with emphasis on improvement in outcomes, service, operations and cost.
- Ensures APP based quality/performance improvement initiatives are carried out and appropriate action plans are developed to correct deficiencies.
- Monitors APP patient satisfaction with provider staff and works with APPs to achieve patient’s satisfaction targets.
- Adheres to regulatory compliance standards (JCAHO, ODH, etc.)
- Communicates the mission, vision and goals of City of Hope Nursing in all interactions with nursing personnel and other disciplines/departments.
- Participates in and assumes leadership role in City of Hope committees, task forces and special projects.
- Represents APPs as needed in planning and matters related to APPs such as salary and benefits, practice, credentialing and appointment process, performance evaluation, peer review and continuing education
- Maintains clinical practice level sufficient to meet ongoing certification requirements
- Meets regularly with physician leadership within City of Hope to foster ongoing relations and determine adequacy of APP staffing and quality of care delivery.
- Acts in a fiscally responsible manner
- Develops revenue growth and effective expense management strategies, inclusive of management of capital and human resources.
- Develops and communicates annual APP staffing plan
- Collaborates with City of Hope Nurse recruiters to facilitate and support NP recruitment
- Monitors internal consistency of recruitment packages, salary quotes and relocation expenses
- Develops annual budget for APPs. Monitors budget compliance and adjusts as needed.
- Identifies opportunities to improve resource management and utilization of resources. Provides oversight of the APP productivity model and any appropriate lease arrangements
Personnel Management & Development
- Collaborates with other departments and colleagues to ensure consistent onboarding process for APPs.
- Collaborates with HR in the development and implementation of a consistent and competitive compensation model for APPs to ensure ability to recruit the best talent.
- Identifies and monitors compliance with all legal and regulatory issues affecting APPs. Develops and implements processes to ensure compliance.
- Participates in NP credentialing and re-credentialing processes.
- Maintains knowledge of California revised code as it relates to NP practice in the state of California
- Recruit, develop, train and retain quality individuals. Provide leadership and mentoring to develop accountable top quality staff.
- Motivate, influence and foster culture change with staff, colleagues, peers, physicians, other department directors and stake holders in the organization to support the mission and core values.
- Performs annual employee performance evaluation and motivates employees to perform in an efficient and professional manner; recruits and maintain the staff necessary to carry out the functions of the departments.
Other Duties as Required
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- MSN required
- 8 to 10 years nursing experience required with a minimum of 5 years in nursing leadership. Experience in leading APPs
- California RN license required. Nurse Practitioner certification required
- Proven track record of strategic programmatic leadership.
- Must have Excellent Interpersonal skills, must have the ability to effectively influence and persuade nursing, physician, and hospital leadership to implement change.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.