The 2012 Minority Nurse Scholarship Program
Nurses will always be valuable members of any health care team, regardless of their educational backgrounds. Yet, the baccalaureate and master’s degrees in nursing may offer the most professional opportunities.
That’s why Minority Nurse offers an annual scholarship to help outstanding nurses of color complete their studies toward a Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing. To date, we have awarded more than 40 students over $35,000 in scholarships, honoring their commitment to the profession, academic excellence, and community service.
Our 2012 scholarship is currently closed. Winners will be announced this summer. We will begin accepting applications for next year’s scholarship in June 2012.
Who Is Eligible?
(Please read carefully. Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will be disqualified.)
To apply for this scholarship, students must meet all four of the following criteria:
- Be a racial or ethnic minority
- Be enrolled (as of September 2012) in either the third or fourth year of an accredited B.S.N. program in the United States OR an accelerated program leading to a B.S.N. degree (such as R.N.-to-B.S.N. or B.A.-to-B.S.N.) OR an accelerated master’s entry program in nursing for students with bachelor’s degrees in fields other than nursing (such as B.A.-to-M.S.N.). Graduate students who already have a bachelor’s degree in nursing are not eligible.
- Have a 3.0 GPA or better (on a 4.0 scale)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
How to Apply
(Please read carefully. Applications that do not include the required documentation will be disqualified.)
Complete and return this form along with all three of the following documents:
- Transcript or other proof of GPA
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member outlining academic achievement
- A brief (250-word) written statement summarizing your academic and personal accomplishments, community service, and goals for your future nursing career
Important: An English translation must be provided for any documentation that is not in English.
Minority Nurse will award one $3,000 scholarship and two $1,000 scholarships in 2012. Selections will be made by the editors of the magazine and its editorial advisory board. Scholarships will be paid in Summer 2012. Minority Nurse reserves the right to verify community service and fi nancial need.
Deadline for application was February 1, 2012.
Questions? Contact [email protected]
Latest posts by Minority Nurse Staff (see all)
- Providing Cultural Competency Training for Your Nursing Staff - February 15, 2016
- Cultural Competence from the Patient’s Perspective - February 11, 2016
- Careers in Nephrology Nursing - February 10, 2016