Nursing Instructor, Maternal/Child and Pediatric Nursing — Registered Nursing (RN) Program 2018
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: http://apptrkr.com/1150982
Discipline or Department: Nursing
Position Type: Full-time Faculty
Hourly Rate or Monthly Salary:
Working Hours: WORKLOAD AND OTHER EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION:
This position is a 10-month, 176 day contract. The standard contractual work week for this position is forty (40) hours consisting of thirty (30) hours of instructional time, curriculum development, preparation and student evaluation (contact hours and preparation hours). The remaining time will consist of five (5) student hours (of which at least two (2) hours must be designated office hours), and five (5) institutional service hours. The person selected for this position will be assigned a Faculty Service Area (FSA) in RN Nursing and will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation. Adherence to all District policies and procedures is expected.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply and submit application materials online at https://jobs.miracosta.edu. Once you are in the online application system, we strongly advise you to read the information on “How to Apply” and the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) before starting the application process.
Submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application for Academic Employment.
2. A cover letter addressed to the “Screening and Interview Committee” specifically describing how you meet the desirable qualifications and the representative duties.
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and nursing experience.
4. A photocopy of your current California Registered Nurse license. Attach this to the “Certificate/License 1” link.
5. Transcripts of your master’s or higher degree in nursing; an unofficial or legible copy is acceptable but must indicate that the degree has been conferred. A diploma will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
If your qualifying degree is in progress but will be conferred BEFORE the position begins in August 2018, then you must also include a written statement from your adviser indicating the anticipated degree CONFERRAL date.
The degree used to satisfy the minimum qualifications must be from a postsecondary institution accredited by an accreditation agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation. If your degree is from a college or university anywhere outside of the United States, you must submit a detailed evaluation from a professional evaluation agency. A partial list of agencies can be found at http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf. Transcripts or translations in English still require the evaluation to show the U.S. equivalence of your degree.
NOTE: When you “APPLY FOR THIS POSTING,” you will eventually be asked to answer the additional questions listed below. Your answers will appear toward the bottom of the application form.
— MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We strive to be a model for equity and inclusion, effectively supporting students from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds who possess a range of abilities, academic preparation, and life experiences. Please describe what qualifications and/or experiences have prepared you to contribute to the fulfillment of the College’s goals for equity and inclusion.
— To be eligible for this position, you must currently possess a valid California registered nurse license. Do you have a current California RN license? (yes or no)
— Have you provided direct patient care as a registered nurse within the last five years? (yes or no)
— Do you already have approval from the California Board of Registered Nursing to teach in an RN program? (yes or no)
— Do you have previous teaching experience in an RN program? If yes, list the name of the employer(s) and dates of employment (month/year). IMPORTANT: The position(s) you reference must be listed on the application form in the Employment History section.
— Do you have any experience with nursing simulations? (yes or no)
Individuals with qualified disabilities who need accommodation with any aspect of the application and/or interview process should contact Human Resources at 760.795.6854 at least five days prior to the closing date.
The screening and interview committee will review application materials two to five weeks following the closing date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected will be notified by e-mail. For interviewees, the selection process will include a panel interview, as well as possible teaching demonstration and written exercise. Interview candidates coming from out of state or over 300 miles away will be reimbursed for travel expenses up to $500 for both initial and final interviews.
OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT:
An offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense, 2) submission of a current tuberculosis clearance certificate, 3) proof of eligibility to work in the United States, 4) fingerprint clearance, and 5) approval by the Board of Trustees.
Basic Function and Other Details:
MiraCosta College invites applications for a full-time (10 months per year), tenure-track faculty nursing instructor position, beginning in August 2018. The Nursing and Allied Health Department is seeking a registered nurse who has a strong clinical background in Maternal/Child and Pediatric Nursing and who has experience teaching nursing to a group of students or new graduate nurses from diverse backgrounds. The individual selected will develop curriculum and teaching methodologies that ensure student learning, and will also teach in the clinical setting. Clinical instruction is provided at a variety of OB and Pediatric settings. The individual may also be assigned to instruct in other nursing programs within the department and/or teach prerequisite courses.
PROGRAM AND DEPARTMENT INFORMATION:
Students enrolled in the Registered Nursing Program must successfully complete the prerequisites for the program as well as the requirements for an associate degree from the college prior to acceptance into the RN program. The department has 11 full-time faculty and 25 part-time faculty who are committed to ensuring our students are successful in the program and are able to provide safe, quality care to our patients. To view the MiraCosta College nursing website, go to http://www.miracosta.edu/instruction/nursing/index.html.
MiraCosta students are diverse in age and represent all of California’s major racial/ethnic groups. The credit student population in 2017 is approximately 37% Latinx, 8% Asian/Pacific Islander, 3% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 7% multiracial. Diversity is also evidenced by student-veterans, re-entry students, students with disabilities, international students, and LGBTQIA+. The college was designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in 2013 and is also a military-friendly organization. This designation reflects the great responsibility that MiraCosta has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a campus that exhibits its dedication to its students and faculty through offering robust, culturally responsive events, including speaker series dedicated to heritage month events through the Social Justice and Equity Center.
MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing an educational environment that affirms and supports diversity in its faculty, staff, and administration, and promoting an environment of inclusion. The college’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is expressed in the policy found at http://www.miracosta.edu/officeofthepresident/board/downloads/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion-Adopted4-6-16.pdf.
(E = essential job function)
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Provide theory and clinical instruction in maternal/pediatric nursing. (E)
2. Develop, review and maintain currency of curricula for courses the individual teaches and develop new nursing curricula in collaboration with other instructors as appropriate. (E)
3. Assist in the creation, review, development and evaluation of courses both online and on-ground, certificates, and programs in collaboration with other instructors as appropriate. (E)
4. Participate in departmental and faculty functions such as participation in RN and curriculum meetings, service on hiring committees, volunteering at career campus events and community outreach, and performance of associate faculty evaluations. (E)
5. Use technology in the academic environment to enhance student learning. (E)
6. Communicate department information to students in a timely manner.
7. Evaluate student performance in the classroom and clinical settings and maintain student records as required. (E)
8. Participate in the development, assessment and evaluation of student learning outcomes (SLOs). (E)
9. Participate in college-wide committee work and collegial governance.
10. Participate in the tenure review process as described in the “Criteria for Evaluation” at http://www.miracosta.edu/administrative/hr/downloads/CriteriaForEvaluation.pdf.
11. Serve as a liaison between the clinical agencies and department of nursing.
12. Serve as a role model for the clinical instructors, preceptors, and instructional assistants.
Type of Benefits:
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
For current salary schedule and salary class descriptions, go to http://www.miracosta.edu/administrative/hr/downloads/SalaryScheduleAndSalaryClassDescrip2017-18.pdf.
MiraCosta College offers a comprehensive package of benefits, which includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee and dependents; $100,000 employee life insurance; and other optional coverages. Faculty members are also covered under the California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS).
MINIMUM STATE / BOARD OF REGISTERED NURSING QUALIFICATIONS:
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
1. a master’s degree in nursing (the transcripts you are attaching must show that the degree was awarded); AND
2. possess a current California active license as a Registered Nurse; AND
3. at least one year of experience teaching courses related to registered nursing, OR have completed a post-baccalaureate course which includes practice in teaching registered nursing; AND
4. at least one year of continuous, full-time experience within the last five years in a direct patient care practice as a registered nurse, OR already approved by the BRN as a clinical instructor; AND
5. sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
The department seeks candidates who meet the following additional qualifications:
1. Three years or more of experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse. Experience in maternal/pediatric nursing is favored.
2. Experience in another specialty area, e.g., medical-surgical, mental health or geriatric nursing.
3. Teaching experience within the last five years in an accredited/approved nursing program or in teaching new graduates in hospital or ambulatory settings.
4. Experience in developing and supporting simulation learning activities.
5. Experience in providing culturally responsive instruction to students of diverse abilities, interests and various backgrounds.
6. Commitment to examine, reflect, and modify instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support disproportionately impacted student populations with a goal of closing equity gaps (see Student Equity website at http://www.miracosta.edu/studentservices/studentequity/index.html).
7. Ability to contribute to the mission of the college.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Must currently possess a California active license as a Registered Nurse.
Closing Date: 2-20-2018
First Screening Date:
Human Resources Contact Information:
[email protected] or 760.795.6854
About MiraCosta College
The MiraCosta Community College District is one of California’s 112 public community colleges. The district includes the communities of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff, Olivenhain, Leucadia, Solana Beach, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, and parts of Carmel Valley.
MiraCosta offers associate degrees, university-transfer courses, career-and-technical education, certificate programs, basic-skills education, and lifelong-learning opportunities that strengthen the economic, cultural, social, and educational well-being of the communities it serves.
The district consists of three campus sites and a robust online education program. The Oceanside Campus, serving about 12,000 credit students, has been located since 1964 on a panoramic 121-acre hilltop site with views of the ocean and mountains. The San Elijo Campus is located in Cardiff, 17 miles south of Oceanside, on 48 acres below the bluffs overlooking the San Elijo Lagoon Reserve. The San Elijo Campus opened in September 1988, and now attracts about 3,000 credit students. The Community Learning Center in downtown Oceanside hosts about 4,000 students in the college’s noncredit classes including English as a Second Language, the Adult High School Diploma Program, and other tuition-free, noncredit classes as well as some college credit classes.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.