Day Shift: 6:45am – 3:15pm
Under the direction of the Director of Patient Care Services or the Assistant Director of Nursing Services has the authority and responsibility for carrying out established standards of practices and care and providing direction in the continuing provision of nursing services. Works in collaboration with Clinical Nurse Managers to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the quality, safety and appropriateness of care are assured.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintains established departmental policies, procedures and objectives to ensure that the standards of nursing practice are consistently met throughout Masonicare at Newtown.
2. Upholds the nursing program during the off shift through the allocation of nursing personnel, coordination of nursing activities, supervision of nursing staff and serves as a clinical resource to all staff. Collaborates with the Clinical Nurse Managers to ensure 24-hour continuity of care.
3. Demonstrates knowledge and skill to provide care based on physical, psycho/social, educational, safety and related criteria appropriate to age, needs and abilities of the resident/patient in his/her assigned unit. Interacts professionally with staff, physicians, patients and families to ensure that care is effectively and efficiently delivered as documented on the resident care plan. Reviews and revises the resident care plan as necessary.
4. Communicates effectively to all staff through verbal reports and written documentation and attends necessary administrative meetings to disseminate important information to off shift staff.
5. Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Nursing Services, ensures that all reportable events are completed and submitted within 48 hours. Assures that investigations of unknown or suspicious origin are initiated within 24 hours.
6. In collaboration with the Clinical Nurse Managers, interviews and hires staff for designated shift. Responsible for overseeing and evaluating staff performance for the designated shift. Collaborates with the Director of Patient Care Services or the Assistant Director of Nursing Services to address poor performance and carry out the corrective action process.
7. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs both in and out of the facility. Participates in the Facility Quality Improvement program as requested.
8. Ensures patient to staff rations are maintained per staffing guidelines by replacing staff callouts while maintaining budgetary guidelines in regard to overtime and approved staffing hours.
9. Responsible for preparing the unit/department for regulatory surveys and required plans of correction.
10. Participates in the nursing On-Call Program.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
1-2 years of experience in a supervisory capacity
Phone: (203) 679-6903
Fax: (203) 679-3052