Closing Date/Time: Sun. 07/22/12 4:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $54,108.00 – $71,688.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-time Faculty
Location: 1500 N. Verdugo Road, Glendale, California
The Associate Degree Nursing Program at Glendale Community College offers a pre-licensure registered nursing program, and career ladder options with both a traditional standard schedule option and weekend evening option. This is a full-time, tenure track, 10 month-per-year position. Full-time faculty will hold five office hours per week and are expected to devote as much time as necessary to perform the professional responsibilities of the position. Participation in professional activities, curriculum development, and campus committees is expected. This assignment will include evening classes.
The ideal candidate for this tenure-track position will possess current clinical and classroom skills in teaching Psychiatric Mental Health. Interested individuals who meet the State of California minimum qualifications and possess the required training and experience in the above nursing specialty areas are invited to submit an application for the position. This position is in the Health Sciences Division which is supervised by an Associate Dean. The Associate Dean reports to the Dean of Instructional Services.
Start Date: Fall 2012
Examples of Duties:
1. Maintain existing Department of Nursing student standards, policies, and curriculum.
2. Assist in program planning, peer evaluation, and project development.
3. Assist in the development, revision, and implementation of policies for the nursing program.
4. Participate in curriculum maintenance, development, evaluation, and revision as needed.
5. Assist the Associate Dean with obtaining clinical sites and additional adjunct staffing selection as needed.
6. Select and organize course material consistent with student learning outcomes, student level, program philosophy, and program unifying theme.
7. Facilitate student learning through a variety of teaching strategies, current technologies and interactive learning environments
8. Monitor student attainment of learning outcomes.
9. Supervise and evaluate student performance in the clinical and classroom environment.
10. Promote an environment that is conducive to effective teaching, learning, and student learning outcomes.
11. Maintain student and classroom records (e.g. attendance, census, grades).
12. Advise and assist students in the attainment of their educational goals.
13. Work collaboratively and effectively with other faculty, classified staff, and student workers.
14. Participate in personal and professional growth through staff development and continuing education activities which maintain currency and competency in both nursing and teaching.
15. Participate in student and community activities, campus governance, committees, and professional activities that promote the professions of nursing and teaching.
1. Current California licensure as a Registered Nurse or eligibility to obtain this.
2. Master’s in nursing OR Bachelor’s in nursing AND Master’s in health education or health science from an accredited institution.
3. At least one year’s experience as a registered nurse providing direct patient care within the past five years in the area of psychiatric nursing.
4. Complete at least one year’s experience teaching courses related to nursing or a course which includes practice in teaching nursing.
1. Recent work experience and/or pre-licensure teaching experience in the area of psychiatric nursing.
2. Proficient in word processing, windows usage, and use of other computer software programs.
3. Competent in researching information using traditional print resources, electronic databases, and the internet.
4. Experience working with community college students or adult students in classroom and clinical settings.
5. Experience in working with diverse racial/ethnic/age groups.
6. Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues and community educational partners
Starting salary is from $54,108.00 to $71,688.00 per year depending upon education and experience. Step placement within the appropriate column is determined by Article VIII of the Collective Bargaining agreement. Fringe benefits, which are subject to change pursuant to negotiations under Section 3500 of the California Government Code, are presently provided and include family and domestic partner medical and dental, two-party vision plan, and employee life insurance.
This position requires the following documents to be attached to your online application in order to be considered:
• Current resume
• Cover letter that addresses minimum and desirable qualifications
• Three recent (within the last three years) signed and dated letters of recommendation that can attest to your professional experience.
• Transcripts showing required degree must be submitted. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted only during the application process. Official transcripts are required upon offer of employment. Foreign transcripts and degrees require official certification of equivalency to U.S. transcripts and degrees by a certified U.S. review service at the time of application.
• Proof of current California licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Please note: All required documentation must be attached to the online application by the applicant by the closing date. Additional documents not requested in the announcement, will not be reviewed.
Your application and any required attachments must be submitted by Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. Applications with incomplete information (i.e. statements such as – see resume) or missing documents will not be considered. If you have additional questions please call 818-240-1000 ext. 5921.
All completed applications and application materials will be screened to ensure that the minimum requirements stated in the job announcement are met. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and possess the highest degree of desired job-related qualifications will be invited to the college for an interview at their own expense. Each interview will include a teaching demonstration on an assigned topic. The College President will make the final recommendation to the Governing Board of Glendale Community College.
All candidates will be notified by email or mail of their final disposition in the selection process. This position is offered contingent upon funding. The district reserves the right to extend, withdraw and/or reopen this position at any time.
About the College
Glendale Community College (GCC) is nestled in the foothills of the San Rafael Mountains, centrally located at the intersection of three major freeways, just ten miles from downtown Los Angeles. Glendale is affectionately known as Jewel City, one of the fastest growing communities in the Southern Californ
GCC is recognized throughout the state as a model of shared governance and collegiality. Known for excellence and rigor, we have one of the highest transfer rates to the UC system and other California four-year colleges. Additionally, the college offers a broad range of vocational programs and takes pride in providing outstanding student services and curriculum to help prepare students for success in the 21st Century.
GCC is committed to maintaining an environment which provides opportunities to individuals with a wide variety of talents, experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. We believe in the importance of diversity amongst our faculty, staff, and student population to better serve the college and surrounding communities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Glendale Community College District provides all applicants for district employment with equal employment opportunities and provides present employees with training, compensation, promotion, and all other attributes of employment without regard to a person’s race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, veterans’ status, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, gender identity or disability.
Applicants who require a reasonable accommodation for the application, testing or interviewing processes should contact the Human Resources Department at the time of application submission.
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Glendale Community College.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Anita Quinonez Gabrielian, Dr. Armine G. Hacopian, Dr. Vahe Peroomian, Ann H. Ransford and Anthony P. Tartaglia
CALIFORNIA COMMUNITY COLLEGES: THE WAY CALIFORNIA WORKS
For more information and to apply, visit http://apptrkr.com/255807