Website NYC Administration for Children's Services
Pre-Placement Nurse Practitioner
The Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) Office of Child & Family Health (OCFH) delivers direct medical services to children entering foster care and ensures that the physical health care provided is comprehensive and appropriate. Pre-Placement Nursing Services Unit is responsible for the day-to-day nursing functions at the Children’s Center Pre-Placement program and ACS’ borough office medical units (Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn). Providing 24/7 coverage, the unit completes physical assessments for all children entering foster care and direct primary care for a comprehensive range of symptoms and illnesses. The Office of Child & Family Health (OCFH) is seeking an Evening Nurse Practitioner to provide medical services to children in Pre-Placement Services and oversee the day to day operations.
Reporting to the PrePlacement Medical Director, the Evening Nurse Practitioner will be responsible for the following:
• Diagnose and treat acute and chronic health problems, in coordination with child’s PCP whenever possible. Refer to the emergency room or specialist when necessary.
• Refer children to the emergency room or specialist when necessary;
• Prescribe necessary medication within the scope of practice for a CPNP in NYS;
• Ensure children have necessary medications at the time of placement;
• Provide onsite and call support to nurses as they triage and conduct routine medical care.
• Monitor care delivery;
• Develop, implement, and evaluate plan of care based on assessment of the child’s physical and psychosocial needs;
• Provide ongoing supervision, mentoring, and evaluation of nursing and administrative staff;
• Provide patient education to children in the prevention of illness, promotion, maintenance and restoration of health.
• Provide supervision, training, mentoring of nurses;
• Assure children have necessary medications at the time of placement;
• Provide in-service and unit based conferences for nursing staff to improve patient care;
• Perform quantitative analysis of the health needs, assessments and services provided to children in Pre-placement using data collected by the department;
• Assist in the development of tools and guidelines to ensure appropriate medical data collection and reporting;
• Assist with program needs and functions: Personnel, contract, and other administrative tasks;
• Assist in revisions of the Agency Medical Policies and Procedure Manual as needed.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A valid New York state license as a Registered Nurse, a baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited college and a master’s degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field, plus four years of recent experience in public health or hospital nursing or a related field; at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive, consultative or educational capacity, or in supervision of professional public health nursing personnel working in any of the above mentioned areas; or
2. Education and/or experience equivalent to “”1″” above. However, all candidates must possess a valid New York State license as a Registered Nurse, and a baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited college; and must possess the 18 months of specialized experience as described in “”1″” above.
The preferred candidate should possess the following: Certified Nurse Practitioner in Pediatric or Family Medicine; three (3) years minimum experience in providing direct primary health care to children and adolescents, including well-child, sick visits, and some psychiatric experience; Experience in residential settings; broad knowledge of health policy, standards and systems, management training; knowledge of and/or experience in the management and administration of health-related programs.
Salary Range is $67,060 – $178,873. To learn more, CITY EMPLOYEES: Apply through Employee Self-Serve (ESS). www.nyc.gov/ess. Search for Job ID #: 287274.
ALL OTHER APPLICANTS: Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search. Search for Job ID#: 287274.