Under the supervision of the Associate Dean, the Nursing Program Advisor will perform duties as specified for advisement of School of Nursing (SON) students and follow policies and procedures set forth by the SON and the College.
Examples of Work
-Advises students to identify prerequisites needed for degree requirements and to prepare for career and/or graduate educational goals. This includes advice given through the Parature System and personal conferences.
-Assists with the evaluation of student credentials.
-Monitors nursing students progress toward completion of degree requirements.
-Coordinates certification of BSN/MSN and or BSNA students for graduation.
-Participates in the Nursing degree program’s recruitment efforts.
-Provides information about the nursing degree program and the College to prospective students and the general public.
-Serves on Nursing and multidisciplinary College committees.
-Assists with the on-going evaluation of the Nursing Degree program.
-Assists with the maintenance of accurate academic advisement and evaluation tools.
-Assists in preparation of reports required by institutional offices; state and national accrediting bodies.
-Maintains currency in the professions of Nursing and Adult Education through participation in staff development and professional programs.
-Prepares student related and other reports.
-Assists with preparation of program materials for publication and distribution to students.
- Participates in information sessions and webinars as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Earned MSN in nursing and experience in nursing education required.
-Ability to work cooperatively and effectively as a team member.
- Thorough knowledge of the theory, principles and techniques essential to performance of the specific responsibilities assigned.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of college policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand, analyze, interpret and apply established law, regulations, policies, procedures, precedents and guidelines.
- Ability to organize assigned work, analyze problems and develop effective work methods.
- Ability to provide confidential assistance to students as needed.
-Ability to establish liaison and coordinate responsibilities with other staff or organizations that relate to or impact on assigned functions.
- Ability to provide advisory services to aid staff in working with students.
- Ability to train and supervise subordinate staff, graduate interns and/or graduate practicum students.
- Ability to develop and conduct training, workshops and/or seminars for the campus community.
- Ability to conduct research, analyze data and interpret findings.
- Ability to plan and develop a budget for activities supervised.
- Ability to prepare clear, technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to represent the college at conferences, meetings, seminars and to the public.
- Ability to prepare correspondence and demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to maintain essential, confidential records and files.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s degree supplemented by a Master’s degree in a field related to the position to be filled or an equivalency as determined by the appointing authority.
Experience: Three years professional experience in a field that is directly related to the functions of the position to be filled or equivalency as determined by the appointing authority
The minimum education experience standards for positions classified under this class title will vary depending upon the requirements of the specific position to be filled. In each case, these minimums will be determined at the discretion of the appointing authority.
Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute required experience on a year-for-year basis (30 credit hours is considered one year of college).
A Ph.D. or an Ed.D. degree may be substituted for two years of the required experience.
Resumes and Applications for this position will only be accepted online at http://careers.tesc.edu until this position is filled.
Thomas Edison State College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer