College of Marin
Nursing Instructor (Pediatric & Medical-Surgical) – Full-time Sabbatical Leave Replacement
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 09/17/12 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $50,334.00 – $86,941.00 Annually
Job Type: FT Sabbatical Leave Replacement
Location: Kentfield, Indian Valley (Novato) &/or Online, California
Full-time, Temporary Sabbatical Leave Replacement
Spring 2013 & Fall 2013
The Registered Nursing Program prepares students for entry into the nursing profession and serves as a foundation for advanced nursing studies. The program functions under the approval of the California Board of Registered Nursing and is accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission. Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing.
Under the general supervision and direction of the Dean of Health Sciences and Child Development, primary responsibility is instruction in the areas of Medical-Surgical AND Pediatric nursing for the Spring 2013 and Fall 2013 semesters. This full-time, temporary position requires an assignment of 15 instructional units each semester in addition to additional requirements as identified by the college and the California Board of Registered Nursing.
College of Marin is looking for full-time faculty who:
• advocate for students and have a student-centered approach to education;
• have the ability to inspire intellectual curiosity and academic excellence in their students;
• have a commitment to equity and social justice;
• have experience/commitment to educating basic skills, ESL, and generation 1.5 students;
• are willing to learn/use best practices and innovative pedagogies such as learning communities, and contextualized or collaborative learning;
• are committed to maximizing effective uses of technology in their teaching both in class or through distance education;
• are willing to work collaboratively;
• have experience with student learning outcomes assessment.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Provide classroom, skills laboratory, and clinical instruction in Medical-Surgical and Pediatric Nursing in an NLNAC accredited 2-year Associate Degree Nursing Program. Assignments may include instruction during the day, evening and weekends.
• Prepare and evaluate all class/lab assignments and examinations;
• Advise, assist and evaluate student performance and learning outcomes;
• Participate in program activities including curriculum development, evaluation and decision-making, program planning, new teaching and learning methods, resource development, and meeting accreditation standards;
• Demonstrate ability to utilize technology for classroom and clinical instruction;
• Participate in development of program policies & procedures;
• Attend faculty & curriculum meetings;
• Maintain knowledge and clinical competence in assigned instructional areas by participating in professional development activities;
• Schedule clinical rotations in the hospital & other clinical sites;
• Participate in college professional or shared governance committees and in departmental activities such as maintaining course outlines, program review, student learning outcomes assessments, and program accreditation activities;
• Maintain and post office hours;
• Maintain and submit accurate student records in a timely manner as required;
• Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
Requirements & Desirables:
1.) A Master’s degree in Nursing or Nursing Education; OR
2.) A Bachelor’s degree in Nursing AND a Master’s degree in Health Education or Health Sciences; OR
3.) The equivalent
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
1.) One year of full-time continuous experience in the last five (5) years as a Registered Nurse providing direct patient care on an acute Medical-Surgical or Pediatric unit; AND
2.) Demonstration of clinical competence in the areas of Medical-Surgical and Pediatric nursing; AND
3.) Completion of at least one academic year’s experience teaching courses in a pre- or post-licensure registered nursing program OR completion of a post-baccalaureate educational course that includes practice in teaching registered nursing given by an accredited college or nursing school which includes teaching strategies, course outline and lesson plan development, evaluation, and practice teaching; AND
4.) Appointment is subject to BRN approval; AND
5.) Applicants must possess a demonstrated sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, ethnic backgrounds, and learning styles of community college students and staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Desirable Attributes and Skills)
Beyond the Minimum Qualifications, the following teaching competencies are desirable:
• currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility and subject matter;
• competencies related to facilitating relationships with staff & nursing managers in clinical settings ;
• competencies related to relationships with students and colleagues – ability to advise & develop collaborative relationships;
• competencies related to service/governance – understanding institutional structure, policies & procedures;
• competencies in curriculum and course development, teaching and learning theory, information resources, and assessing student learning outcomes; and, assisting students to develop critical thinking skills;
• familiarity with, and willingness and ability to use multiple teaching methods, including the use of computer technologies and computer based learning;
• ability and enthusiasm to use teaching methods to engage students and encourage them to be motivated self-learners;
• sensitivity to and rapport with students from diverse cultural, language, ethnic, academic, socioeconomic, age and disability backgrounds;
• knowledge, training and experience with online pedagogy and technology;
• knowledge of and skill in commitment to the teaching profession, its goals and ideals, and understanding the mission of the College of Marin.
• evidence of commitment to professional growth and service which may include, but is not limited to, membership in professional organizations, presenting workshops, attending conferences or training, development of curriculum and instructional materials, membership in school/college committees or production of classroom based research;
• ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and professionally with the campus community;
• evidence of excellent written and verbal skills in English and strong organizational skills.
Criminal Justice/Fingerprint Clearance
Tuberculin (TB) Clearance
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
A. Cover Letter
C. Copy of current and valid California RN license
D. Copy of college transcript conferring Bachelor’s degree
E. Copy of college transcript conferring Master’s degree
(If you hold additional degrees beyond the Bachelor’s and Master’s level, please attach a copy of your transcript conferring these degrees as well.)
NOTE: Attaching an unofficial copy of your transcript is acceptable for application purposes, as long as it confers the degree. An official transcript would be required upon hire.
FOREIGN DEGREE HOLDERS: All foreign degree credentials must be evaluated by a third party to determine the equivalent U.S. degree and major, and the Foreign Credential Evaluation must be attached to your application before your application will be considered. Not attaching your Foreign Credential Evaluation will render your application incomplete. Evaluations should include a course-by-course evaluation and provide the name of the institution attended, a description of your credentials, the major field of study, and the U.S. equivalent for each credential. For a list of evaluating agencies, visit the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Note: Even if you obtained your graduate degree(s) in the U.S., you must attach a Foreign Credential Evaluation for your undergraduate degree if it was obtained outside the U.S.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $50,334 – $86,941 per year, depending on educational background and experience (Step 1, Column 2 to Step 14, Column 5).
Please refer to our Human Resources web site for salary schedules. Step 14 is the highest entering step for permanent teachers new to the District.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/264233