Contra Costa Community College District
Nursing Assistant Professor
Los Medanos College located in Pittsburg, California is accepting applications for a full-time, tenure track Nursing Assistant Professor.
Annual Salary Range
(First Year Faculty)
$55,668 to $83,772 depending on education and experience
Note: A collective bargaining agreement exists and membership in United Faculty or payment of a service fee is required.
Membership in State Teachers Retirement System (STRS)
District-paid benefits (employee contributes 6%) for employee and dependents/domestic partners include:
• Medical (Health Net or Kaiser) insurance including chiropractic
• Dental and vision
• Flexible spending (125) plan
• Life and long-term disability insurance
• Employee assistance program
• Deferred compensation (403b and 457)
• Sabbatical Leave
Employment Begins: Spring 2014 (mid-January)
Description of Position
Los Medanos College in Pittsburg, California is seeking a full-time, tenure track Assistant Professor of Nursing to begin in August 2013. The primary teaching assignment will be in the Registered Nursing program in the areas of Fundamentals of Nursing; Obstetrics and Medical-Surgical Nursing. A secondary teaching assignment may be in the Vocational Nursing Program and/or other Health Science courses. This position has the potential for growth into the role of assistant director or director of the nursing programs. Approval from the Contra Costa Community College District Board and the Board of Registered Nursing must be received prior to hire.
The teaching assignment will be for two semesters totaling 35 weeks a year. Summer teaching opportunities may be available for additional compensation in addition to the standard fall and spring semester teaching assignments. This position requires adaptability and flexibility in assignments at the college and off campus at the hospitals. It may include weekend and evening hours.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide classroom and clinical instruction in accordance with approved course outlines demonstrating comprehensive knowledge and clinical competence in Fundamentals, Obstetrics, and Med/Surgical Nursing. May include evening and weekend assignments on and off campus, and acute, sub acute, and skilled care facilities. May also include skills laboratory teaching and participation with the simulated laboratory experience for students.
2. Maintain student’s scholastic and attendance records and submit them according to published deadlines.
3. Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with college/district policy.
4. Inform students of course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance requirements, and academic progress; develop remedial plans for students as needed.
5. Participate in evaluating, revising, and implementing, the philosophy, objectives, curriculum, and policies of the nursing program.
6. Prepare and grade student assignments and examinations.
7. Participate in the assessment of courses and of the program to improve teaching and learning in the department
8. Participate in nursing department meetings, department staff development, and program improvement initiatives.
9. Participate in the college’s shared governance process, college and district committees and meetings.
10. Participate in professional development activities.
11. Maintain current knowledge in the subject and in effective teaching/learning strategies.
12. Provide guidance and support to adjunct faculty and staff.
13. Work collegially with the dean, nursing program director, department chair, and faculty team members regarding student concerns and department needs.
To qualify, the applicant must possess the following minimum qualifications (earned degrees must be from an accredited college/university):
The minimum qualifications as set by the Board of Registered Nursing are:
1. Master’s in nursing, education, or administration (Section 1425) OR a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing AND a Master’s Degree in Health Education, Health Sciences or equivalency (complete the equivalency form found at the end of this job announcement).
2. Current valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in California.
3. One (1) year of continuous, full time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care in the Obstetrics and/or Medical-Surgical settings as a Registered Nurse within the last 5 years.
4. Demonstrate “Clinical competence” as defined by the Board of Registered Nursing in Section 1420(c) as follows: “Nursing program faculty member possesses and exercises the degree of learning, skill, care and experience ordinarily possessed and exercised by staff level registered nurse on the clinical unit to which the instructor is assigned.”
5. Completion of: (a) at least one year’s experience teaching courses related to nursing OR (b) completion of a post-baccalaureate course which includes practice in teaching registered nursing.
1. Experience in teaching fundamentals, obstetrics, and/or medical-surgical nursing theory and clinical to registered nursing students at the pre-licensure level.
2. Experience as a team player who demonstrates a willingness to support program improvement through ongoing collaborative assessment of the program.
3. Experience developing, implementing and evaluating curriculum in nursing and/or formal teaching presentations.
4. Experience utilizing a variety of teaching strategies to foster critical thinking and application of theory to practice.
5. Experience in facilitating student application of theory to practice by use of the nursing process and critical thinking in both classroom and clinical settings.
6. Sensitivity to, and experience working with diverse racial, ethnic, gender, socioeconomic, disabled and cultural populations; and a commitment to support policies that respect and consider the diversity of the student population.
1. Applications will be screened to ensure the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
2. A committee will screen the Supplemental Job Information Questionnaire and rate the applicant on desirable qualifications.
3. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and possess the highest rating of desired job-related qualifications will be invited to the college at their own expense for an interview and teaching demonstration. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of November 4-8, 2013. Such an interview is a prerequisite to employment.
4. The College President will make the final recommendation to the Governing Board of the Contra Costa Community College District.
Complete application packet must be received by:
Last day to apply: October 18, 2013 by 4:00 p.m.
Office of Instruction
Los Medanos College
2700 East Leland Road
Pittsburg, CA 94565
(925) 439-2181, x3272
NO FAXED OR E-MAILED MATERIALS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
A complete application packet consists of:
• Contra Costa Community College District Application for Employment – Academic Applications, supplemental job information questionnaires, and information may be obtained at www.4cd.edu, “Career Opportunities,” or by calling (925) 439-2181 x3272.]
• Supplemental Questionnaire Answers
• Copy of college transcript(s) for screening purposes
• Equivalency form (found at the end of this job announcement ) and supporting documentation (if qualifying under #4 of Minimum Qualifications)
The submission of a complete application packet is the responsibility of the applicant. Incomplete or late packets will not be accepted.
Los Medanos College, opened in 1974, is the newest campus of the Contra Costa Community College District. The college prepares students to excel and succeed economically, socially and intellectually in an innovative, engaging and supportive learning environment. LMC provides quality programs and state-of-the-art facilities to serve the needs of a rapidly-growing and changing East County while enhancing the quality of life of the diverse communities it serves. Los Medanos College is known for its transferable general education program and career technical programs strongly connected with local business and industry. The college serves approximately 10,000 students. Additional information: www.losmedanos.edu
The Contra Costa Community College District is a Drug-Free work place. The District verifies that all new employees are either U.S. citizens or aliens authorized to work in the U.S., in conformance with the 1986 Immigration and Control Act. Potential employees should be aware that smoking is prohibited in many areas of the District facilities.
THE CONTRA COSTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In conformance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, requests for reasonable accommodation may be made to:
Director of Business Services (925) 439-2181 ext 3206
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency